[EDIT: Quick reminder that is related to this post — voting is still going on to support EPI research. Please consider clicking over for the five seconds it takes to add your vote!]
If you’ve been following my semi-constant whinging on about Yara on Facebook and/or Twitter, then you’re well aware times is not good.
Basically the positive news we got from her last round of tests at the vet in July isn’t lasting. Since her major rebound of SIBO last month she’s been on-and-off sick. It’s incredibly inconsistent and until yesterday hadn’t manifested into accidents in the house. Her stool would be somewhat soft one day and then the next it’d be fine.
Anyway, over the last few days she’s had very loose stool and then yesterday morning she had a middle-of-the-night accident in the house that was very close to the “cow plop” type stool that is a trademark of pancreatic issues. And it was quite a somewhat larger amount of fecal matter than is her normal; another hallmark of EPI. So, I called in.1
The vet and I are kind of stumped. All things considered I’m doing pretty much everything I can to keep Yara healthy with regards to her EPI. But the research the both of us have done basically seems to suggest that sometimes dogs just have issues and there’s no rhyme or reason as to what works for one dog and doesn’t for another. But given Yara’s results from July, we’re going with the assumption the current issues are stemming from low B12 levels. She has B12 added to her food,2 but we’ve decided that isn’t enough and so for the foreseeable future Yara’s now back on weekly B12 injections. You can imagine how much I’m looking forward to this.
We’re trying to avoid putting her back on Metronidazole, the antibiotic she was just on for the SIBO incident. She’s been on it now three different times and while it’s helpful, it’s a bit on the aggressive side. However, given the loose stool her vet is concerned that she might develop another bought of SIBO, so to offset that possibility she’s put Yara on Tylan Powder for two weeks. Because of that I’m giving her Forti-Flora, which is a bit of a stronger pro-biotic than those found the cultured yogurt I generally add to Yara’s food.
Hopefully she’ll improve. She did get sick again last night, which I only discovered as I was headed out the door to work, so we’re home for the day again just to be on the safe side. Yara has an appointment on November 11th for her rabies shot and I’ve now amended that to include a full exam to check up on her. That is if we don’t end up going in before then.
As for me? I’m very torn by all of this. I can’t help but think how I’d have given up long ago if this were just a pet of mine dealing with this. And then I feel horribly callous for thinking that.
I’m just worn out, I guess.
- Well, actually the fact that my para-transit bus rolled into my driveway at 5:45 a.m. (35 minutes before it’s scheduled pick up and an hour ahead of it’s “usual” time) had a bit to do with this, too. Since I’d spent the majority of my awake time cleaning up after the dog, I was hardly ready. In fact, I was still in my jammies! ↩
- Along with her enzyme supplements, omega-3 fatty acid and probiotics. ↩