I’m hoping to get out to Dad and Keith’s for a visit in the coming month, but by all accounts it sounds like she’s doing quite well and enjoying retirement.
Apparently, I no longer blog about things. I mean, there are things to blog about, but I can’t seem to find either the time or desire to actually write them. Actually I’m not doing any better at any other online haunt so maybe it’s more accurate to say I just don’t bother with my computer for non-work or school things.
So, in no particular order here be some things going on around these parts:
- Uschi had her yearly eye exam. Aside for being watery for no reason we can determine her eyes are completely healthy. The eye doc didn’t seem any more concerned than our vet about the watery thing since her eyes aren’t irritated and the discharge is clear. I was told to come back next year unless something changes. This was so much like my own eye doctor visits I had a moment where I thought perhaps I broke reality.
- I finally broke down and read some of the DCnU comics. I am totally underwhelmed. What I read (mostly the new Batgirl, some Nightwing, Batman and JL) wasn’t bad. It was just…well, lacking.
- I also watched Young Justice. Um. That was a mistake. I mean, it’s not as horrible as I thought it would be and I probably am not as disgusted with it had I watched it live. But much like the DCnU it has a lot of potential and it’s so not living up to it.
- If that wasn’t enough to make me miss the DCAU something hard, I also discovered the new Batman series coming in 2013. It physically pains me to think about.
- I’m taking Japanese this summer. The announcement of this on Facebook was met with far more intensity than I thought it would. I’m still not sure why. As it stands right now, I feel buried under the work. Probably because I’m currently a week behind. Oops.
- I have been watching a lot of anime and reading a lot of manga, though. I count that as classwork even if no one else does.
- Went to two cookouts this weekend. I think I’ve eaten my quota of food for all of June. Also, Uschi broke herself. And then got sick. But otherwise it was totally awesome.
- A bird built a nest in the wreath on my front door. I was going to evict it, but then I discovered eggs and I couldn’t kill the unborn baby birds. All bets are off if any of them take a crap on my head, but so far they seem totally unfazed by the fact that their home randomly moves a few times a day. Uschi is mildly intrigued by their presence, but the bird hasn’t been stupid enough as yet to get close to her. It did fly in my house one day, though and that caused something of a crisis trying to shoo it back outside.
- My dissertation has a due date. *panics*
- Oh, my birthday happened. I was commandeered by some friends and had activities and foodstuffs thrust upon me. I also might have gotten a bit drunk. I don’t remember the drunk part so much, but the activities included a showing of Avengers and the foodstuffs were yummy. Then I came home and there were flowers waiting for me. All in all, it was pretty fun and it was a most gorgeous day, too.
My back is starting to make it known that I’ve been sitting here too long so I’m going to have to end this babbly stream of consciousness. I fully intend to post something proper one of these days, but when that might be is anyone’s guess.
Bye for now.
Today, Uschi is three-years-old! I’m not entirely sure what our plans are for the day, but we’ve already celebrated with a pupcake. “Celebrate” here means I inadvertently traumatized her by trying to get a photo of her with the cupcake and thus she thought she shouldn’t eat it and when she finally would take it she tried to run off into another room to eat it and when I wouldn’t let her do that (because how would I get a photo?) she got mildly stressed and started to avoid the cupcake. So, um, I won’t be winning a “best dog handler in the world” awards any time soon . . . Anyway, she’s fine and she did eat the cupcake. See:
Happy birthday, Yara!
[gigya src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/slideshow/show.swf?v=71649" width="500" flashvars="offsite=true&lang=en-us&page_show_url=/photos/ceotty/sets/72157611225566906/show/&page_show_back_url=/photos/ceotty/sets/72157611225566906/&set_id=72157611225566906&jump_to=" allowFullScreen="true"]
[The above slideshow showcases photos and videos from this Flickr set of Yara.]
She is a whole six-years-old. Six is the atomic number of carbon, an essential part of all organic life. According to the Bible, it’s the number of days that God took to create the world. And in relation to her former working career, six dots make up a Braille cell. But mostly it’s a perfect number. which I think is quite fitting.
To celebrate this great milestone I sent her a half dozen wheat-and-corn free cupcakes. ^_^