It’s time once again for another Assistance Dog Blog Carnival! This quarterly event gathers together submissions from bloggers about all aspects of assistance dogs based around one central theme chosen by that edition’s host.
And I am quite thrilled — and rather nervous — to be the host for the fifth Carnival! It’s also my pleasure to announce that this fall’s theme is:
Seems that I fit in with all the previous hosts in having difficulty in choosing a topic. I had several that immediately came to mind, though some of them seemed a bit too close to previous Carnivals. In the end, the decision almost made itself for me when I looked at the calendar and realized the timing fell right inline with a rather momentous date for my current guide dog: her birthday! Of course, that’s only one of many examples of achievements that we can boast about as a team — and that’s not even getting into my two previous guide dogs!
To help spark some ideas within this topic, here are a few questions you might ask yourself:
- Is there a memorable or momentous event that you and/or your assistance dog have accomplished (e.g., learning a new task/route; traveling together for the first time)?
- Is there any particularly important date for you and/or your assistance dog (e.g., the day you were partnered; the day your puppy went to training school)?
- Have you overcome any difficult obstacles in your partnership?
- Do you have a great milestone that you’ve reached?
- Have you set and/or accomplished any specific goals with your assistance dog?
- What daily/weekly/etc. achievements do you have?
- What would you anticipate for the future that you and/or your assistance dog might achieve?
These are merely suggestions, so please feel free to expand on the topic as much as you wish! Anyone with a blog is welcome to submit a post for the Carnival. You do not have to have an assistance dog or puppy-in-training to participate; however, the post must be related in some way to assistance dogs (i.e., guide dogs, hearing dogs, or service dogs). If you’re interested in participating and you don’t have a blog, there are literally tons of websites where you can create one for free, such as WordPress, Blogger, and LiveJournal.
Submissions for the fifth Carnival are due before midnight (11:59 p.m. EDT) on Monday, October 31, 2011. If you’re like me in any way the idea of a deadline is basically meaningless — I’m a procrastinator extraordinaire — and so while I would very much like to have the completed Carnival post up by the following Monday (if not sooner) I’m enough of a realist to know that things might come up. If you anticipate not being able to meet this deadline, please email me or comment here as soon as possible so I know to expect a post from you. And, while not required, it would be nice if you could note in your post that it is for the fifth Assistance Dog Blog Carnival with a link here to this post.
To submit your post for the Carnival please comment on this post with the following information:
- The name of your blog (e.g., Gentle Wit)
- The title of your Carnival post (e.g., “Puppy Raisers”)
- The link (URL) to your Carnival post (e.g., http://gentlewit.com/2011/01/puppy-raisers/)
[Note: My website is set to moderate comments from first-time posters, so if you do not see your comment immediately that is likely why.]
One last thing, please feel free to promote the Carnival by sharing the link!
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email me or leave a comment here! I can also be contacted through any of the social networks listed in the right-hand sidebar.